• cardiffcityladiesfc

Cardiff City LFC 2 - 5 Chichester City LFC

Cardiff City Ladies returned home to Ystrad Mynach for the first time this season, riding high off the back of a 5-0 victory over Norwich City in the cup last weekend. The visitors to South Wales were Chichester City Ladies, a team whom, like Cardiff, were searching for their first points to kick start their season.

Cardiff started the game brightly, carving out a few half chances, with Ella Powell looking dangerous down the wing and Jassie Vasconcelos testing the Chichester keeper from range. The first big refereeing decision of the match then went the way of Cardiff, after a trip in the box in the 7th minute was given as a penalty. Captain Cori Williams stepped up to give Cardiff an early lead from the spot.

However, Cardiff’s bright start seemed to fade a little after the first goal, and Chichester City went straight onto the front foot. They would get their reward just three minutes later, when an awkward cross wasn’t dealt with and Jess Lewry pounced to equalise in the 10th minute. This began a huge shift in momentum, with Chichester City controlling the game. Keeper Estelle Randall kept the score at 1-1 for a while, making a very good save 1v1 with the Chichester Striker who found her way behind the defence, but this only delayed the inevitable, with Charley Wilson-Blakely finishing from a corner in the 23rd minute to make it 2-1.

Things went from bad to worse for Cardiff, who just couldn’t seem to find a foot back into the game, and conceded twice more in the next ten minutes, with another 1v1 against Estelle Randall going the way of the keeper, but the oncoming Jenna Fowley reacted quickest to make it 3-1, and then a long free kick flicking off the head of Ffion Llewellyn and looping over her own keeper to make it 4-1.

Cardiff immediately hit back, with Caitlin Morris firing from distance and finding the back of the net with a sweetly struck shot to make it 4-2, and Vasconcelos had a number of good chances to get the 3rd but couldn’t convert under pressure. However a pass back to Randall in goal ended in disaster as she lingered too long on the ball, and was dispossessed by Charley Wilson-Blakely, who put the ball away for 5-2 just before half time.

In the second half, Cardiff came out with intent and looked a lot more dangerous going forward. Vasconcelos came close once again in the 57th minute, and Cori Williams also found herself with a chance to test the keeper, however the keeper came out on top. Chichester were happy to slow down the play and did well to keep the game under control, stopping Cardiff from getting any kind of serious momentum. Williams and Vasconcelos came close a few more times throughout the half, but the Chichester defence rarely looked troubled. The game ended as the first half did, and Cardiff sit second from bottom, propped up by their next opponents, Swindon, who visit Ystrad Mynach on the 21st of September.

37 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All