Match Report: Cardiff City Ladies vs Oxford United Women (0-1)

Image Credit: Neil Wildy

By Tom Lea

Cardiff City Ladies will have to put their FA Cup dreams on hold for another season after suffering a 1-0 defeat to Oxford United Women.

Georgia Brown's early goal would prove decisive for the visitors as the Welsh side pushed but couldn't find a way past Rose Kite in Oxford's goal.

Brown put the visitors in front as early as the second minute when Cardiff failed to clear Hannah Mackenzie's throw into the box and stabbed the ball beyond Laura O'Sullivan to put the English side in front.

City nearly responded straight away as Kylie Nolan sent Jasmine Turner through behind the Oxford defence, before Kite provided her first crucial intervention to tip the ball off the forward's feet and away from goal.

Nolan was a constant threat on the Oxford goal, racing into the right hand channel and cut the ball back for Nadia Lawrence but her effort was deflected agonisingly wide of the upright.

The visitors continued to control possession whilst Nolan was involved once again shortly before half-time as she bamboozled the Oxford defence with some excellent footwork but her low centre was pushed to safety by Kite, just out the reach of several onrushing blue shirts.

The assault on Kite's goal continued after the interval as Lawrence stormed through midfield and slid the ball between the visitors backline but Kite raced out quickly to deny substitute Gwen Davies.

Nolan was involved once again 12 minutes from time as she dispossessed Gemma Sims near the halfway line and raced towards Kite's goal however her attempted lob drifted past the far post with the keeper beaten.

Carly Johns offered two reminders of the visitors threat in the dying stages. First racing forwards on the break before sending her effort over the bar and then taking advantage of some miscommunication in the hosts backline, only for O'Sullivan to stand tall and tip her effort round the upright.

The hosts continued to probe however they were unable to find a way past Kite as they bowed out of the FA Cup in the second round.